National Junior Honor Society
The National Junior Honor Society is one of the nation’s premier organizations established to recognize outstanding middle school students. More than just an honor roll, NJHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service and character. At Ss. Peter and Paul School, community service activities and volunteerism are valued, and students are encouraged to participate in activities that benefit others.
Students in eighth grade who meet the academic and service requirements may be eligible for membership in the Ss. Peter and Paul Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society.
Who Is Eligible?
Each spring, select students in grade 8 will have the opportunity to apply for membership to the NJHS. Students must first meet the academic standards of the NJHS to be eligible to apply for membership: a cumulative grade point average for grades 6, 7 and the 1st trimester of grade 8, of 94+%. The ideal NJHS candidate meets or exceeds the academic requirement, has volunteer experience, including school and community service projects, has assumed leadership roles in school organizations, has achieved an outstanding record of attendance and behavior, and has demonstrated involvement in civic organizations.
How To Apply
- In early spring, students who are academically eligible for NJHS will be notified by the NJHS Faculty Council.
- Students can then begin the application process by downloading and completing the NJHS Membership Information forms available here:
- NJHS Student Activity Information Sheet
- NJHS Faculty Evaluation Forms
- NJHS Checklist
- Accompanying the application are three Faculty Evaluation Forms. Candidates should choose three SSPP faculty members to complete an evaluation form which will support the strength of the student’s candidacy in the areas of service, leadership, character and citizenship. The teacher will then submit the evaluation form to the NJHS Faculty Council on behalf of the student.
- The completed information sheet, including a cover letter explaining why the student wishes to become a member of the NJHS of Saints Peter and Paul School, should be submitted to the NJHS Advisor, Mrs. Hill. The information form includes detailed instructions on each step of the application process.
- Any form that is incomplete or fails to meet the application deadline will not be considered or reviewed by the NJHS Faculty Council.
Selection of Members / Induction Ceremony
Once all membership applications have been received, the NJHS Faculty Council, which is made up of five SSPP teachers, will review and approve or decline applicants. The Council’s collective decision will decide membership based on the NJHS membership criteria listed above.
Once accepted, new NJHS members will be sworn-in during a special National Junior Honor Society Induction Ceremony held in the Spring.