Date(s) - 31/05/2016 - 01/06/2016
Chapter 12 Section 3 quiz tomorrow; make sure that you study; the key terms need to be memorized!
Study guide for Chapter 12: Section 3
- Columbus: Italian explorer sailing for Spain who landed in the West Indies in 1492
- Conquistador: one of the conquerors who claimed and ruled land in the Americas for the Spanish government in the 1500s
- Pizzarro: conquistador who conquered the Incas
- Mestizo: a person of mixed Spanish and Native American ancestry
- Hacienda: a large farm or plantation
- The line of Demarcation showed where Portugal and Spain could settle and trade.
- The Spanish explores hope to find gold in Latin America.
- The relationship between Spain and Portugal in the 1400s was strained because they tried to stop each other from claiming land.
- The conquistadors were able to defeat the two most powerful empires in the Americas so quickly because the Spanish brought diseases and had superior weapons.
- After the Spanish conquest, many Native Americans died from overwork, malnutrition, and disease.