Date(s) - 17/10/2016
Scholastic News: Read the whole magazine and then answer the worksheet front and back
Health: p. 15 (1-5); graded
Math Chapter 2 ; khan academy is very helpful!
Wednesday S.S. Chapter 12 Sec 2; not openbook; study guide
Name: _________________________ Section 2: The Incas: People of the Sun
- Cuzco: capital of the Incan empire
- Topa Inca: emperor of the Incas, who expanded their empire
- Census: an official count of all the people in an area
- Quipu: knotted strings on which the Incas recorded information
- Aqueduct: a pipe or channel that carries water from a distant source
The Rise of the Incas
Incas settled in Cuzco, a village in the Andes that became the Incan capital city.
Most Incas were farmers. Pachacuti was the ruler of the Incas. His son, Topa Inca, later became emperor of the Incas
*They were farmers, builders, and managers. Cuzco was the center of government, trade, learning, and religion. The nobles helped run the government.
Government and Records
The government was carefully organized. Although, Incas didn’t have a written language, government officials and traders used quipus to record information.
Roads, Bridges, and Aqueducts
*The Incas built roads and bridges and these roads went over very mountainous land. The road system helped the Incas to govern their vast empire.
*The Incas also built canals and aqueducts to carry water to dry areas.
The Incas were master builders. They built cities, places, temples, and fortresses without modern tools.
Incas worshipped many gods and practiced human sacrifice.
The Quechua: Descendants of the Incas
The Spanish conquered the Incan empire in the 1500s. The descendants still live in the area today and speak Quechua, the Incan language.
Essay question #1****The major achievements of the Incas were that they had a well-organized government; earthquake-proof buildings; roads and bridges; canals and aqueducts; the quipu.
Essay question #2**** Which of the Incan achievements do you think was most important in creating their large and rich empire? Explain your choice in a paragraph. Give at least two reasons for your choice.
Thursday: Religion quiz Chapter 3; study guide given
Lesson 3: Baptism
Study notes for the next quiz: ________________ Name: ___________________________
- Original sin: sin that members of the human race are born with and from which Baptism frees us
- Conversion: turning from sin to new life in Christ
- RCIA: (Rite of the Christian Initiation of Adults) a program by which adults learn to live the Catholic faith and are initiated into the Church
- Catechumen: A person in the RCIA program who is preparing for Baptism
- Christening: Another word for Baptism
- Anoint: to sign with blessed oil (The rubbing with oil blessed by the bishop is called the anointing)
- Sacramental: words, actions, or objects blessed by the Church that brings us closer to God
***Baptism makes us 1.) Children of God; 2. )Members of the Church, and 3.) Christians.
Two objects given to baptized people as signs of their new life and faith are 1.) White garment and 2.) A lighted candle.
Baptism has power to cleanse us from all sin.
The sign baptized Catholics use to show they belong to Christ is the Sign of the Cross.
The first time we receive a share in God’s own life is at Baptism
The sacramental that reminds us to die to sin and rise to new life is water.
Liturgy: Liturgy is the public worship of the Church
Jesus worshiped the Father through prayer, loving service, and sacrifice.
HOW: We worship God through prayer, loving service, and sacrifice.
WHY: We worship God because his is great, good, and because we belong to him.
Friday: Spelling Lesson 4