ELA Quiz Thursday
Date(s) - 10/11/2016
ELA Notes 11/7/16
*Every sentence must have a subject and a verb.
*The verb is the word that tells what is being done.
*The word that answers the question “Who?” or “What?” before the verb is the subject.
*A word that modifies a noun is an adjective. An adjective may tell which one, what kind, how many, or whose.
You must memorize!!!
Adjective: “An adjective is a word that modifies a noun or pronoun. It tells what kind, which one, how many, or whose about the word it modifies.”
What an adjective “tells” emphasizes its use in the sentence.
An adverb modifies a verb, an adjective, or another adverb.
*There must be a mark of punctuation at the end of every sentence.
Helping verbs: These must be memorized for the test! In order!!
is, am, are, was, were
be, being, been, has, have, had
do, does, did,
may, might, must, can, could
In each sentence below, draw two lines under the verb, one under the subject; circle adjectives.
- The three little boys were sleeping peacefully.
- The SSPP jazz band will play tomorrow.
- The ugly man walked very quickly away.
- Have the five cheerleaders arrived yet?
- The smiling and very happy winners walked forward.
- Abby’s homework is always done promptly and neatly.
- The happy and hungry big hippos were eating.
- Has the food arrived yet?
- The four teachers were working quietly.
- Five boys are working slowly and carefully.
- A rather surprised kitty came in quite slowly.